How to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain
After passing the Life in The UK Test,your process of applying for indefinite Leave
to Remain will start. You should be aware of what forms and documentation are required
to complete your application for ILR. Here you can learn all the important steps
which it takes to complete the application. There are two different forms for applying
for ILR. They are Form SET(M) and Form SET(O)
Form SET(M) – This form is used by people who are trying to get the settlement
if they are having husband, wife, unmarried partner, civil partner or same sex partner
who are British citizens. One can apply for settlement by using SET(M) form if their
partners are settled and are having a proper standing in UK. Some of the other guidelines
for applying with form SET(M) are given below –
- If you currently having temporary permission to live in UK as a partner of a settled
person in the country already. You can be husband, wife, civil partner, same sex
partner or unmarried partner.
- If you have lived in the UK for 2 or more years.
- If you are planning to stay in the country further more.
Some of the advantages of using this form is, you can use the same form for joint
applications. For instance you can include your children in the same form you are
using to apply. The only clause is, children should be less than 18 years of age.
You can submit these forms in a SCS or you can send them by post to the Home Office.
The address to which you have to post it to can be found on the cover of the form.
Form SET(O) – This is a different form which is used for a different purpose.
You need to apply for ILR with this form if you are in the following categories.
- You are in Tier 1 or Tier 2 in the points based system.
- You are having work permit.
- You are an innovator.
- You are an investor.
- You are a private servant in a diplomatic household.
- Domestic works in a private household can also use this form.
- If you are associated with a private newspaper or news agency.
- You are an overseas government employee.
- You are a self employed lawyer.
- If your ancestry is from United Kingdom.
- If you are placed in the category of HSMP (Highly Skilled Migrant Programme).
- You can use this form if you are minster or member of a religious organisation.
- You are a writer, composer or an artist.
If you fall under any of the following categories then you can go ahead with using
this form. Some of the important points you need to remember when you are applying
this form is you need a good command on English language. There is no particular
time limit in which the application is accepted or declined. It depends from person
to person how long it will take for the application to be processed.
For both the forms, you need to use black pen and you should use block letters while
filling the form.