Eligibility For Life in the UK Test
For people who want settle in the UK, they have to take the UK test to get the citizenship.
There are few eligibility factors which are to be fulfilled to appear for the UK
test which is explained in the article. If a person has spent some time legally
in the country, then the person is entitled to take the
UK citizenship test if he further wants to live in the country.
Residents who are living in the country for long periods and looking for permanent
settlement in the country can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain. Even they need
to take the British Citizenship Test. There are many categories in which a person
can apply for the citizenship.
- Ancestry is a system where the person after 5 years can apply for the citizenship
- HSMP (High Skill Migrant Program) is another option where you can be awarded citizenship
on the basis of the person’s professional skills.
- If the applicant has a British partner then the person is eligible to apply for
- If the person has 10 years of legal residency or has 14 years of illegal residency
in the UK then the person can apply for British Citizenship.
In some cases, the government of the United Kingdom has introduced few exceptional
cases wherein the applicant for citizenship doesn’t have to take the citizenship
test. The following points are to be read carefully as in these cases the applicants
don’t have to take the
British Citizenship Test.
- If the person is above 65 years or below 18 years, they don’t have to take the
life in the UK test.
- If there is some kind of physical disability or if the person is physically handicapped,
then there is no need for the person to take the test.
- If the person is mentally handicapped irrespective of his/her age, he/she doesn’t
need to write the UK test to get citizenship.