: cs@britishcitizenshiptest.co.uk

UK Family Visa






Copy Link

UK Family visas allow eligible family members and dependents of those who already possess a UK visa to join them in the UK. There are numerous family visas covering your closest family members. Some of the family members covered include married or civil partners, children, unmarried partners, grandchildren, parents, and dependent adult relatives. In some rare cases, extended family members may be able to enter the UK as well. If you need to visit your family for more than 6 months, a UK Family Visa is essential. For a short stay of fewer than 6 months, a standard visitor visa is sufficient.

You can apply for a UK family Visa when you meet the following criteria

  • You wish to stay longer than 6 months in the UK
  • You have the citizenship of a non-EEA nation
  • You are a close relative or family member of a UK ‘settled’ person or British citizen or an individual in the UK with refugee status or humanitarian protection

Here are the UK Family Visa Types, you can apply for.

UK Family Visa for Partners and Spouses

To apply for this visa, you must have a partner or spouse above 18 years and should be either of the following:

  • A British citizen
  • A settled person (they have indefinite leave to remain, settled status or proof of permanent residence)
  • Refugee status in the UK
  • You should be able to produce proof of your marriage or partnership and living together for at least 2 years before you apply.


In case you apply as a partner, the eligibility of family visa enables your stay for about 2.5 years. According to Uk Family Visa requirements, its 6 months in the case of a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner. You’ll also be able to include dependent children in your application.

With this visa, the earliest you can apply for indefinite leave to remain is after you live with your partner continuously for 5 years.

Financial Requirement

An important point on eligibility of family visa is that you should have sufficient funds to support yourself and your dependants in the UK. For this, you should meet the minimum income requirement. This is set at £18,600 and an extra £3,800 where you are applying with one dependent child, and an extra £2,400 for each additional child if they are not British citizens or settled in the UK.

English Language Requirement

Besides, you should demonstrate a good knowledge of English by proving that your academic degree was in English. Else, you can do so by passing an approved English language test and gaining a CEFR level A1 in speaking and listening.

Apply as a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner

When you apply for a visa as any of the above, you should also provide proof that any previous marriages or civil partnerships have ended. You should also prove that you will marry or become civil partners within 6 months of arriving in the UK. However, you cannot work during this engagement period. You cannot work during your engagement period.

With this visa, you can only stay for a period of 6 months after which you need to extend your visa.

UK Family Visa as a parent

You can apply as a parent to live with your child in the UK if they are under 18 years of age and not capable of living an independent life yet.
The other conditions include

● They should be a British citizen
● They should be settled in the UK (ILR, settled status or permanent resident proof)
● They should have lived for 7 years continuously in the UK (if you're applying from the UK).

For this, you need to prove you play a fundamental role in your child's upbringing. This can be done with proof from your child's school that you take them to school. You can also provide proof of taking them dental appointments and the other parent confirming your full contact with your child.

You should show that you can adequately support yourself and your dependents and meet the English language requirement.

UK Family Visa for Children
The UK Family Visa requirements for Children states that they can also apply separately or as dependents on their parent’s application. They should, however, follow the following rules of family visa in UK.
● They must be under the age of 18 when they apply
● They must not be independent
● They must not be married or in a civil relationship

For children applying separately, should know the kind of UK visa their parent possesses to stay in the UK. One of the child’s parents must be in the UK and must be applying or have applied for a visa to extend their permission to stay either as a partner or as a parent. The financial requirement should be met and the parent should show that they can financially support the child. The child does not need to meet the English language requirement.

Some of the other ways you can apply for UK Family Visa include
● Applying as an adult coming for care by a relative
You can apply for this visa if you are outside the UK and need long term care from a parent, grandchild, brother, sister, daughter or son who is either a British citizen, settled in the UK or has refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK.

You need to show proof that you need long-term care for everyday household tasks because of old age and disability and be over 18 years. the person you wish to join should also have sufficient funds to care for you.
● You can apply based on your private life provided you meet the prerequisites mentioned in the official site.

EEA Family Permit
If you are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) but have an EEA national as a family member who is already living in the UK, you can apply for the following family permits. The applicant should be outside the UK. If the applicant is already in the UK, they should apply for another type of family visa instead. You can apply from 2 different family permits depending on your circumstances.
● The EEA family permit
● The EU Settlement Scheme family permit

Those who are a close family member of an EEA or Swiss national can apply for the EU Settlement Scheme family permit provided they have a ‘settled’ or ‘pre-settled’ status under the EU Settlement Scheme.

Family members who can apply include:
● Spouse
● Civil partner
● Dependent child
● Dependent parent

In the case of the EEA family permit, you can apply as a close or even an extended family member of an EEA or Swiss national, extended family members include a brother, sister, aunt, uncle, cousin, nephew or niece.

Family members covered by this visa include married and civil partners, unmarried partners, children, grandchildren, and dependent parents and grandparents. Family members of the EEA citizen's married or civil partner are also covered by this visa.