: cs@britishcitizenshiptest.co.uk

Guide to Documents Required for British Citizenship






Copy Link

What documents do I need to apply for British citizenship

When it comes to obtaining British Citizenship, it is essential to know about the documents required for British Citizenship. Although the British Citizenship documents checklist is not long, you must make sure that you have the correct certification.

Below is the Complete List of the Necessary Documents Required for British Citizenship

It is a well-known fact that it doesn't matter how compelling your application is; you won't get British Citizenship unless you submit all the documents required for British Naturalisation application.

Documents for British Citizenship are listed below: The Home Office British Nationality application guidance states that people seeking to obtain British Citizenship need to provide evidence of:

1. Evidence of your Identity

Your identity proof is one of the necessary documents required for Citizenship.
As part of citizenship documents for identity proof, you will need to submit:

- Your Biometric Residence Permit

- Your passport or Home Office travel document or Home Office ARC letter or photographic driving licence or a bank, building society or a credit card statement issued to you within the last six months. Your proof of nationality will also be needed so you can submit your national identity card.

You must take proper care when you send the documents because if you used certain types of documents to prove your identity when you took the Life in the UK test, you would be expected to use the same documents to support the British naturalisation application.

2. Evidence of English Language

Another one of the important naturalisation documents is the evidence of the English Language. The rules for providing proof of the English Language laid down by the Home Office are a bit complicated. Suppose you are exempted from taking the English Language test based on your qualifications or country of origin. In that case, you can take naturalisation guidance and legal advice to avoid delays with obtaining your British Citizenship application.

You must remember that the Home Office will accept the evidence of English Language only from an approved Home Office list.

To meet this necessary requirement, you will need to provide the following documents required for British Citizenship:

- Certificate number of the English language test from a Home Office approved qualification at B1 CEFR from the Secure English Language Test List; or

- An Academic Qualification Level Statement from the United Kingdom NARIC that confirms the qualification is equivalent to the UK qualification; or

- A UK degree certificate

- Passport that shows that the person seeking British Citizenship is a national of a majority English speaking country; or

- If you have already qualified for B1 level and your application for your Indefinite Leave to Remain has been accepted, then there is no need for you to pass another test for the English Language as one of the documents for naturalisation. However, you do need to produce evidence of the earlier English Language test to obtain British Citizenship.

If you have claimed exemption from the English language test on the grounds of physical or mental health, then you must provide evidence for the same from a medical practitioner.

3. Evidence of your Residence

Suppose you have submitted the application for British Citizenship on the basis of the duration of your lawful residence in the United Kingdom. In that case, you will also need to provide evidence of the duration of your stay in the UK. Citizenship proof of living in the UK is a must to submit for obtaining British Citizenship.

The documents required for evidence of your residence include:

- Many people have this query - 'Do I need to send my passport when applying for British Citizenship?' If yes, then here is your ansnatwer -you need to submit your passport, but if you can't do so, you must tell the reason why you can't and also provide an alternate supporting document; or

- A letter of Employment stating when you started the work (and also an end date if you have left the job). You also need to submit supporting documents such as P60 or payslips for obtaining British Citizenship.

- The British Citizenship application form 2020 also states that the person seeking to obtain British Citizenship also needs to submit a letter from the educational establishment that clearly states your duration of the study;

- Letter from the Government that indicates clearly your presence in the United Kingdom for a specified period.

- Proof of freedom from immigration time restrictions is also needed to obtain British Citizenship. Usually, there is a stamp in the passport, or you have a biometric residence permit that states that you have indefinite leave to enter or remain on your stay. However, the letter must be from the Home Office stating you are free from all the immigration conditions.

Depending on the nationality, you may also be required to produce other documents that show your proof of the length of your stay in the United Kingdom.

For instance, if you are an Irish citizen or an EEA international, then the rules for submitting for naturalisation application will be different for you.

4. Evidence for British Citizenship application based on marriage

Suppose you are filling out the naturalisation form to obtain British Citizenship based on your marriage or a civil partnership with a British citizen. In that case, you need to provide supporting documents for British Citizenship such as:

- Current passport of your spouse or naturalisation documents.

- Your civil partnership certificate or marriage certificate

The above-stated naturalisation guidance points will help you a lot to submit the right documents. If you are going to apply for British Citizenship, it is advisable to consult a British nationality solicitor to check if you are eligible to apply for Citizenship or not. You can also discuss the UK citizenship documents and make sure the Home Office approves your naturalisation application.